Spaghetti squash pizza boats are great as a main meal or as a snack. Kids love them as they are fun to make and really tasty too. Easy to prepare and cook in the oven in around half an hour or so. Great to eat hot. Also a good choice served cold for packed lunches. You can adapt the ingredients according to what you have to hand at home. Also works well with butternut squash, courgettes or aubergines.
Spaghetti Squash Pizza Boats – Ingredients
2 Small spaghetti squashes (Or you can use butternut squash or courgette or aubergine instead)
Salt and pepper
250g/9oz homemade tomato base sauce
250g/9oz shredded mozzarella cheese
Add your favourite pizza toppings
Spaghetti Squash Pizza Boats – Instructions
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with baking foil, then mist with olive oil spray or coconut oil. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, very carefully cut the spaghetti squashes in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out and discard the seeds and stringy pulp in the centre of the squash. Then brush the flesh of the squash evenly with olive oil, sprinkle with freshly ground pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper, and place the squash halves cut-side-down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the inside of the squash is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork. (Larger squash halves will take longer to bake.) Remove from the oven and let the squash cool for a few minutes.
- Using a fork, shred the inside of the squash until all of the flesh is spaghetti-like. Then add 65g/2.25oz (more or less) homemade tomato sauce and 30g/1oz shredded cheese to each squash half and gently give it a toss until all of the spaghetti-ed squash is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Sprinkle a few pizza toppings evenly on top of the sauce on each squash half, followed by about 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, followed by a few more pizza toppings as desired.
- Turn the oven to grill. Place the baking sheet with the spaghetti squash pizzas in the oven on a rack 1/3 from the top of the oven and grill for 4-6 minutes — keeping a close eye on the pizzas so that they do not burn — until the cheese is melted and starts to turn a little bit golden. (If you don’t have a grill you can roast them in the oven for about 10 minutes on200°C.)
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.