Chicken kebabs are a firm favourite with all the family. You can add your favourite vegetables in cubes and marinate in your favourite sauce to give an extra depth to the flavour. Cooked slowly on the barbecue with some added herbs and seasoned fruit tree wood on the flames they taste absolutely delicious. The recipe below uses a homemade tikka paste to marinate the chicken kebabs before roasting in the oven or barbecuing. Tikka paste can be used for a variety of dishes and stores well in the fridge or freezer to use for other dishes.
Homemade Tikka Paste – Ingredients
50g coriander seeds
50g cumin seeds
10g black or rainbow peppercorns
5-10g dried chillies
50g fresh coriander, washed and patted dry
100g fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
100g garlic cloves
75g dried onions
5g ground turmeric or a 1cm cube of peeled fresh turmeric
35g freshly ground pink Himalayan salt
100g freshly squeezed lemon juice or lime juice
150g tomato puree
250g extra virgin olive oil
100g filtered water
- Dry roast whole spices in frying pan or in Thermomix 7min/Varoma/sp1
- Use pestle and mortar or spice grinder to grind roasted spices or in Thermomix after wiping away condensation 1min/sp8
- Place ground spices in a saucepan and add fresh coriander, garlic, ginger and oil, puree. Or in Thermomix add fresh coriander, garlic, ginger and oil and puree 1min/sp10, scrape down.
- Add all other ingredients to saucepan or Thermomix. Cook and stir till red layer of oil on the surface. In Thermomix 50-60seconds/80/sp2
- Store in sterilised jars and top with a little more oil to completely cover the paste.
You can use the tikka paste to add to curries, to make kebabs, crust salmon or spice up your homemade soups.
Homemade Chicken Tikka Kebabs – Ingredients
1 organic chicken breast per person chopped into 2cm cubes
Cubed vegetables of your choice – mushroom, courgette, aubergine, bell peppers, white onion, red onion work really well for kebabs.
Use one chicken breast per person, chopped into cubes.
Coat the chicken breast cubes with homemade tikka paste. You can add cubed vegetables to the chicken kebabs for extra goodness. Place the coated chicken breast cubes on skewers and grill or barbecue until the chicken is cooked through.